Sunday, May 25, 2008

i am jack's ideology of an ape

(on an engineering student's point of view. written for the subject, engineers and law.)


What are we? Living organisms with gifted brain? what are our life purposes? Have we ever thought about things like these… it’s a sweet life we’re living in this world. But have we ever thought about all the small things… like the little rain water that drops from the leaves? Like the ripple on the pond when a fish jumps out of it… or the group of army ants on our walking paths? What am I thinking about? Does it sound nonsensical? I don’t know, you tell me. Everybody has his or her own purpose of living… whether he or she is meant to be successful, or meant to die trying. Everybody needs a mark of establishment to leave behind after his or her demise. Engineering is my way of establishment I guess. Or maybe, in the making to great heights to which, only God can judge.

Besides making a mark in our range of study or work, have we ever thought about doing something big? Let me give the hint, how about humanity? How about preserving the environment? How about stopping the war? How about saving the wildlife from sporadic extinction? How about keeping peace and start appreciating unity? If that sounds impossible, how about doing the simpler tasks… like recycling? Maybe joining a campaign in support of the wildlife or campaign against war is good enough. It’s not always about getting in the big picture; it’s about how and why we do it, no? Life is not always about attaining success in terms of having a big car, big house and a wonderful family. Sometimes, we need to pay attention to our surroundings too. The world needs attention… too much destruction had been done; we’ve done enough manipulation on mother earth that we sometimes fail to think and look back at the consequences. Making all these things can be considered as an establishment too, and for me, it might be the mother of all establishments. Why not, it’s the best thing to do to prove our worth to the society.

Care. Do you have what it takes to care enough? What it feels like to have the awareness and the intention to start caring? I don’t know if I'm doing enough on my behalf. But I think I'm trying my best. I don’t know if I'm doing well enough to call myself an environmentalist or humanist, but I'm happy that I have the awareness. Baby steps to reach the top wont hurt, right? So when do we start caring, by the way? Hmm… why wait, why not now? While sitting on the chair, while sipping that drink from your cup, while looking with those bright pair of eyes? We’re not mushrooms growing after the rain, we’re always been here and we’re meant to do the right thing. I think I know my purpose of living… I think mine is to be a better person... To contribute to the society, to contribute to the world, to do something that will make my grandchildren proud of their grandfather. Am I exaggerating? No, I don’t think so. Doing it alone might sound crazy and worthless and might not be a turning point towards anything. But think again, one person doing something will, of course, leave things unscathed, but how if 10 people doing it? or maybe 100? 1000? 10000? Its all a matter of time to realize the awareness and start doing something about it. we human beings are given the extravagant asset that outshines the other organisms, and that is our brain. We can make miracles with it, not to mention destruction if not well-utilized. But that is a different story.

So what I'm saying is that, everyone has his or her purposes and priority in life but realizing it early might lead to a smoother path in future. Everyone wants to succeed, but lets make it a fair deal, succeed, but don’t be ignorant towards the world. Don’t be ignorant towards humanity, towards other people. Don’t let hatred, anger, greed overcome yourself. Be a positivist, seriously it won’t hurt to be one. And remember, God is always watching…its not that He doesn’t have anything else to do, but I guess it might be his purpose of or His priority, maybe, heh…

No comments: